THE CHURCH OF CHRIST
by Kevin Rutherford
If I can prove to you that the
My first piece of evidence is the
worship of the
1. In spirit and in truth (John ).
2. Upon the first day of the week (Acts 20:7).
3. With male leadership in worship (I Timothy 2:8ff).
4. With five acts of worship.
a. Singing (Ephesians ).
b. Praying (Acts ).
c. Giving (I Corinthians 16:1, 2).
d. Lord’s Supper (I Corinthians -26).
e. Preaching (Acts 20:7).
My second item of evidence is the
organization of the
1. Christ is the head (Colossians ).
2. Elders oversee local congregations (Acts ).
3. Deacons serve the elders (I Timothy 3:8-13).
4. Evangelists preach the gospel (Ephesians ).
5. Teachers teach (Ephesians ).
A third article of evidence which
1. All Scriptures are inspired of God (II Timothy , 17).
2. All Scriptures have been completely revealed (John ).
3. Any so-called “revelation” from God which contradicts what was
written in the first century is not Scripture (I Corinthians ).
4. The Old Law has been nailed to the cross and the New is now in effect
5. Additions, subtractions, and changes to the New Testament result in
condemnation (Galatians 1:6-9).
An additional piece of evidence
that shows the
1. One must hear the Gospel in order to be saved (Romans -17).
2. One must believe the Gospel (Mark ).
3. One must repent of sin (Acts ).
4. One must confess the name of Christ (Romans 10:9, 10).
5. One must be baptized (Acts ).
I have just given you a picture of
the pattern for the New Testament church as given in the New Testament. Much more time and detail could be given to
each point but this overview should suffice for now. The
“The churches of Christ greet you.”