TO MY CHILD
• JUST FOR THIS MORNING, I am going to smile when I see your face and laugh when I feel like crying.
• JUST FOR THIS MORNING, I will let you choose what you want to wear and smile and say how perfect it is.
• JIJST FOR THIS MORNING, I am going to step over the laundry and pick you up and take you to the park to play.
• JUST FOR THIS MORNING, I will leave the dishes in the sink and let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together.
• JUST FOR THIS AFTERNOON, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles.
• JUST FOR THIS AFTERNOON, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck, and I will buy you one if he comes by.
• JUST FOR THIS AFTERNOON, I won’t worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned.
• JUST FOR THIS AFTERNOON, I will take us to McDonald’s and buy us both a Happy Meal so you can have both toys
• JUST FOR THIS EVENING, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born and how much I love you.
• JUST FOR THIS EVENING, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry.
• JUST FOR THIS EVENING, I will let you stay up late while we sit on the porch and count all the stars.
•. JUST FOR THIS EVENING, I will snuggle beside you and miss my favorite TV shows.
• JUST FOR THIS EVENING, when I run my finger through your hair as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God has given me such a great gift. I will think about the mothers and fathers who are searching for their missing children, the mothers and fathers who are visiting their children’s graves instead of their bedrooms, and the mothers and fathers who are in hospital rooms watching their children suffer, and screaming inside that they can’t handle it anymore.
• AND WHEN I KISS YOU GOODNIGHT, I will hold you a little tighter, a little longer. It is then that I will thank God for you, and ask Him for nothing, except one more day.
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord
The fruit of the womb Is His reward.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one’s youth.
Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them;
They shall not be ashamed, But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.”
Psalm 127:3-5 (NKJV)